What is involved in Systems Operations
Find out what the related areas are that Systems Operations connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Systems Operations thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Systems Operations journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Systems Operations leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Systems Operations related domains to cover and 123 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Systems Operations, Operations support system, Access network, Business support system, Computer system, Configuration management, Customer service, DSL Forum, Data entry clerk, Digital Equipment Corporation, Fault management, Hardware Information Navigational Tool, ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector, International Organization for Standardization, Loop Maintenance Operations System, Network element, Remote Memory Administration System, Service Evaluation System, Service assurance, Service delivery platform, Service fulfillment, Simple Network Management Protocol, Software applications, Switching Control Center System, TM Forum, Telcordia Technologies, Telecommunications Management Network, Telecommunications service providers, Telephone company, Telephone exchange, Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System:
Systems Operations Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Systems Operations visions and customize techniques for implementing Systems Operations controls.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Systems Operations workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– How likely is the current Systems Operations plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– How can you measure Systems Operations in a systematic way?
Operations support system Critical Criteria:
Model after Operations support system goals and test out new things.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Systems Operations processes?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Systems Operations process?
– Is Supporting Systems Operations documentation required?
Access network Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Access network tasks and balance specific methods for improving Access network results.
– Will Systems Operations have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Systems Operations forward?
– What about Systems Operations Analysis of results?
Business support system Critical Criteria:
Consider Business support system adoptions and get the big picture.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Systems Operations is underway?
– What is the purpose of Systems Operations in relation to the mission?
– Are there Systems Operations problems defined?
Computer system Critical Criteria:
Check Computer system decisions and describe the risks of Computer system sustainability.
– During the last 3 years, have you experienced a disruption to your computer system that lasted longer than 4 hours for any reason (other than planned downtime)?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Systems Operations processes?
– What are specific Systems Operations Rules to follow?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Configuration management issues and describe which business rules are needed as Configuration management interface.
– Can we answer questions like: Are all status reports being produced, including the required details, according to the business request?
– Have all mechanisms that can lead to temporary or permanent changes in the design requirements been identified?
– Has Configuration Management a say in how information is stored and accessed in other enterprise databases?
– Is the test and analysis data available and are the variances to the test results identified and updated?
– Are the design requirements for your facility or program established, documented and maintained?
– Have the basis for the design requirements been established documented and maintained?
– What tools, resources, and training are required to perform baseline management?
– How do engineering changes interface with the configuration management process?
– Can we answer questions like: Are the test plan and results available?
– If the change does involve a usq, has it been approved by doe?
– Can we answer questions like: Are all data files available?
– Do the build instructions include all required components?
– How does cm get incorporated in the system life cycle?
– Which incidents should be logged by the service desk?
– What is a Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– What is the smallest thing controlled and tracked?
– Do the benefits of the change warrant the costs?
– What test mechanisms do we have in place?
– What is configuration management?
– How to make it easier to sell?
Customer service Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Customer service leadership and change contexts.
– Customer Service What is the future of CRM with regards to Customer Service five years from now, What Technologies would affect it the most and what trends in Customer Service landscape would we see at that time?
– The fine line in retaining a customer or developing a critic, often boils down to the right Customer Service strategy. how can we delight customers in every interaction?
– Why is Customer Service and helpdesks so undervalued given that this is a core part of branding and growth i e The head of the Service Desk is not a CxO level title?
– Do we do this…As you approach the front desk, the Customer Service professional is busy typing on a computer. after several seconds, he mumbles, yes?
– Has it re-engineered or redesigned processes, and leveraged technologies to improve responsiveness, Customer Service and customer satisfaction?
– How many attempts do you make before you reach the correct person (e.g., number of phone transfers, e-mail forwards, etc.)?
– What do you think might typically form part of your organization s overall package from a customer s perspective?
– How can recognition of the cultural value of importance of family be helpful in Customer Service?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Systems Operations with what users do day-to-day?
– What specific functionality is our Customer Service Management system required to provide?
– What are some techniques for effectively providing service to older customers?
– Which are the key performance indicators for Customer Service?
– Customer, User, direct and indirect is there a difference?
– What needs to be in place to make Customer Service work?
– What do we do when we Cant resolve the problem!?
– What do we mean by the term Customer Service ?
– Is it a pleasure to do business with you?
– What level of service should be offered?
– How can Customer Service be improved?
DSL Forum Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with DSL Forum adoptions and probe the present value of growth of DSL Forum.
– Do the Systems Operations decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Data entry clerk Critical Criteria:
Debate over Data entry clerk decisions and plan concise Data entry clerk education.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Systems Operations in a volatile global economy?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Systems Operations leader?
– How do we Lead with Systems Operations in Mind?
Digital Equipment Corporation Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Digital Equipment Corporation tactics and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Is there any existing Systems Operations governance structure?
Fault management Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Fault management decisions and get going.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Systems Operations leaders?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Systems Operations activities?
Hardware Information Navigational Tool Critical Criteria:
Generalize Hardware Information Navigational Tool failures and track iterative Hardware Information Navigational Tool results.
– What are the short and long-term Systems Operations goals?
– Is the scope of Systems Operations defined?
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector Critical Criteria:
Define ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector adoptions and oversee implementation of ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Systems Operations process?
– Among the Systems Operations product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Systems Operations move?
International Organization for Standardization Critical Criteria:
Merge International Organization for Standardization goals and integrate design thinking in International Organization for Standardization innovation.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Systems Operations models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Is there a Systems Operations Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Loop Maintenance Operations System Critical Criteria:
Define Loop Maintenance Operations System risks and assess what counts with Loop Maintenance Operations System that we are not counting.
– Does Systems Operations systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Think of your Systems Operations project. what are the main functions?
Network element Critical Criteria:
Adapt Network element outcomes and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Network element services.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Systems Operations processes?
– How is the value delivered by Systems Operations being measured?
Remote Memory Administration System Critical Criteria:
Scan Remote Memory Administration System tactics and look in other fields.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Systems Operations objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– When a Systems Operations manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Who will provide the final approval of Systems Operations deliverables?
Service Evaluation System Critical Criteria:
Gauge Service Evaluation System governance and create a map for yourself.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Systems Operations information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Are assumptions made in Systems Operations stated explicitly?
Service assurance Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Service assurance planning and interpret which customers can’t participate in Service assurance because they lack skills.
– Achieving service management excellence is an on-going process. Just as an organization can never have enough sales, so they can never stop paying attention to service assurance. With service management and assurance having such a critical role for CSPs, how can they both achieve optimal service assurance delivery and implement supporting processes to ensure that best practice continues to be observed?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Systems Operations. How do we gain traction?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Systems Operations delivery for example is new software needed?
– Do we monitor the Systems Operations decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Service delivery platform Critical Criteria:
Jump start Service delivery platform governance and drive action.
– Which customers cant participate in our Systems Operations domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What are the disruptive Systems Operations technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Who needs to know about Systems Operations ?
Service fulfillment Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Service fulfillment strategies and oversee Service fulfillment requirements.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Systems Operations project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Systems Operations project lifecycle?
– How do we go about Comparing Systems Operations approaches/solutions?
– How would one define Systems Operations leadership?
Simple Network Management Protocol Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Simple Network Management Protocol engagements and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Simple Network Management Protocol.
– Is Systems Operations dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Which Systems Operations goals are the most important?
– How can the value of Systems Operations be defined?
Software applications Critical Criteria:
Survey Software applications outcomes and look for lots of ideas.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Systems Operations ?
– Does the Systems Operations task fit the clients priorities?
– What are the usability implications of Systems Operations actions?
Switching Control Center System Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Switching Control Center System visions and find the essential reading for Switching Control Center System researchers.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Systems Operations strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
TM Forum Critical Criteria:
Track TM Forum tasks and plan concise TM Forum education.
– Is maximizing Systems Operations protection the same as minimizing Systems Operations loss?
– What are the business goals Systems Operations is aiming to achieve?
– How to Secure Systems Operations?
Telcordia Technologies Critical Criteria:
Sort Telcordia Technologies failures and arbitrate Telcordia Technologies techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Why should we adopt a Systems Operations framework?
– How do we keep improving Systems Operations?
Telecommunications Management Network Critical Criteria:
Learn from Telecommunications Management Network results and create a map for yourself.
– In what ways are Systems Operations vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What threat is Systems Operations addressing?
Telecommunications service providers Critical Criteria:
Generalize Telecommunications service providers outcomes and transcribe Telecommunications service providers as tomorrows backbone for success.
– If voip is classified as a telecommunications service, should access charges for it be different from those paid by non-ip-enabled telecommunications service providers?
– Why are Systems Operations skills important?
Telephone company Critical Criteria:
Jump start Telephone company goals and question.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Systems Operations product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Does Systems Operations analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Telephone exchange Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Telephone exchange governance and report on the economics of relationships managing Telephone exchange and constraints.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Systems Operations experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What are all of our Systems Operations domains and what do they do?
– Are we Assessing Systems Operations and Risk?
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System Critical Criteria:
Depict Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System adoptions and find the ideas you already have.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Systems Operations project?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Systems Operations that make it risky?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Systems Operations Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Systems Operations External links:
WOMOS 150U Unmanned Aircraft Systems Operations Technician
AWS Training | Systems Operations on AWS
Operations support system External links:
ACE Cash Express – ACE OPERATIONS SUPPORT SYSTEM
[PDF]Deploying Avaya Operations Support System for …
Access network External links:
S.C.A.N. Home – Security Central Access Network
All Partners Access Network – Official Site
Business support system External links:
Build A Business Support System – She Takes on the World
PIA – Enterprise Business Support System (EBSS) — FY …
Computer system External links:
computer system Definition from PC Magazine Encyclopedia
New Mexico’s computer system gets an upgrade | …
Configuration management External links:
Configuration Management | IpX
AWS OpsWorks – Configuration Management
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
Customer service External links:
Customer Service – Kohl’s
Customer Service – Wells Fargo
Comcast Customer Service – XFINITY® Technical Support
DSL Forum External links:
Earthlink DSL forum | DSLReports, ISP Information
Verizon DSL forum | DSLReports, ISP Information
DSL Forum TR-069 and its extensions – FAQ’s – Fine Point
Data entry clerk External links:
Data Entry Clerk Job Description Examples | Indeed.com
Data Entry Clerk Salary – PayScale
Digital Equipment Corporation External links:
GRC’s | Digital Equipment Corporation’s PDP-8
Digital Equipment Corporation – CHM Revolution
Fault management External links:
“Fault Management For Service-Oriented Systems ” by …
[PDF]FAULT MANAGEMENT HANDBOOK – NASA
Hardware Information Navigational Tool External links:
Hardware Information Navigational Tool – WOW.com
Hardware Information Navigational Tool – liquisearch.com
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector External links:
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector
International Organization for Standardization External links:
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
ISO International Organization for Standardization
Loop Maintenance Operations System External links:
Loop Maintenance Operations System – Revolvy
topics.revolvy.com/topic/Loop Maintenance Operations System
Network element External links:
[PDF]Unbundled Network Element Platform (UNE P) …
Modem Always On; and Network Element Dial-out Prevention
Remote Memory Administration System External links:
RMAS means Remote Memory Administration System
Service Evaluation System External links:
Patent EP0766444A2 – Service evaluation system and …
Prototype Bus Service Evaluation System – Internet Archive
Patent EP0766444B1 – Service evaluation system and …
Service assurance External links:
Windstream Wholesale – Wholesale Service Assurance …
Service Assurance Analyst (PP/SAA/P/CS) – Project People
Job Information: Service Assurance Agent Job – appone.com
Service delivery platform External links:
Customer Service Delivery Platform – A Process-Driven …
Service delivery platform – Hwang, Hans
Simple Network Management Protocol External links:
[PDF]Simple Network Management Protocol – Fermilab
Software applications External links:
STEM Software Applications – WhiteBox Learning
Airport Deicing Software Applications
CRMfusion Salesforce Data Quality Software Applications
Switching Control Center System External links:
SCCS abbreviation stands for Switching Control Center System
Switching Control Center System – How is Switching …
Switching Control Center System – Revolvy
topics.revolvy.com/topic/Switching Control Center System
TM Forum External links:
Home | TM Forum Digital Transformation ME
Home | TM Forum Action Week
TM Forum Live (May 2018), Nice France – Trade Show
Telcordia Technologies External links:
Telcordia Technologies Careers | CareerBliss
Telcordia Technologies, Inc. – CACI
Telecommunications Management Network External links:
Telecommunications Management Network | Arizona …
Telecommunications service providers External links:
[PDF]for Telecommunications Service Providers
Telephone company External links:
Marne & Elk Horn Telephone Company
Bundles | Garden Valley Telephone Company
Home | Ringgold Telephone Company Inc.
Telephone exchange External links:
North American Telephone Exchange Lookup by NPA NXX
Online BillPay – Steelville Telephone Exchange Inc.