What is involved in Physical Security
Find out what the related areas are that Physical Security connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Physical Security thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Physical Security journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Physical Security leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Physical Security related domains to cover and 118 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Physical Security, Access control, Alarm management, Alarm systems, Artificial intelligence for video surveillance, Biometric device, Boundaries of Security Report, Closed-circuit television, Computer security, Crime prevention through environmental design, Door security, Executive protection, Glass break detector, Guard tour patrol system, Guard towers, Human rights, IP camera, Identification cards, Information security, Key management, Logical security, Motion sensors, Natural surveillance, Physical Security Professional, Protective barriers, Razor wire, Security alarm, Security alarms, Security engineering, Security guard, Security guards, Security lighting, Standoff distance, Video analytics:
Physical Security Critical Criteria:
Survey Physical Security management and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Physical Security.
– Are there multiple physical security controls (such as badges, escorts, or mantraps) in place that would prevent unauthorized individuals from gaining access to the facility?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Does your Cybersecurity plan contain both cyber and physical security components, or does your physical security plan identify critical cyber assets?
– Has Cybersecurity been identified in the physical security plans for the assets, reflecting planning for a blended cyber/physical attack?
– Secured Offices, Rooms and Facilities: Are physical security for offices, rooms and facilities designed and applied?
– Is the security product consistent with physical security and other policy requirements?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Physical Security been identified and analyzed?
– Are accountability and ownership for Physical Security clearly defined?
– Have all basic functions of Physical Security been defined?
Access control Critical Criteria:
Match Access control goals and interpret which customers can’t participate in Access control because they lack skills.
– Does Physical Security include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Question to cloud provider: Does your platform offer fine-grained access control so that my users can have different roles that do not create conflicts or violate compliance guidelines?
– Can the access control product protect individual devices (e.g., floppy disks, compact disks–read-only memory CD-ROM, serial and parallel interfaces, and system clipboard)?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– Access control: Are there appropriate controls over access to PII when stored in the cloud so that only individuals with a need to know will be able to access it?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Physical Security processes?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Physical Security does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Do access control logs contain successful and unsuccessful login attempts and access to audit logs?
– Is the process actually generating measurable improvement in the state of logical access control?
– Access Control To Program Source Code: Is access to program source code restricted?
– What is the direction of flow for which access control is required?
– Should we call it role based rule based access control, or rbrbac?
– Do the provider services offer fine grained access control?
– What type of advanced access control is supported?
– What access control exists to protect the data?
– What is our role based access control?
– Who determines access controls?
Alarm management Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Alarm management projects and explore and align the progress in Alarm management.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Physical Security values?
Alarm systems Critical Criteria:
Investigate Alarm systems leadership and track iterative Alarm systems results.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Physical Security experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Physical Security delivery for example is new software needed?
– How do we go about Securing Physical Security?
Artificial intelligence for video surveillance Critical Criteria:
Adapt Artificial intelligence for video surveillance failures and adjust implementation of Artificial intelligence for video surveillance.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Physical Security activities?
– How will you measure your Physical Security effectiveness?
– What are the long-term Physical Security goals?
Biometric device Critical Criteria:
Examine Biometric device governance and devise Biometric device key steps.
– Is Physical Security Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Physical Security effort?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Physical Security move?
Boundaries of Security Report Critical Criteria:
Administer Boundaries of Security Report strategies and separate what are the business goals Boundaries of Security Report is aiming to achieve.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Physical Security workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Does our organization need more Physical Security education?
Closed-circuit television Critical Criteria:
Unify Closed-circuit television risks and shift your focus.
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Computer security decisions and know what your objective is.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Physical Security? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Physical Security requirements in detail?
– How would one define Physical Security leadership?
Crime prevention through environmental design Critical Criteria:
Administer Crime prevention through environmental design goals and drive action.
– what is the best design framework for Physical Security organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Physical Security activities?
Door security Critical Criteria:
Judge Door security planning and explore and align the progress in Door security.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Physical Security product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Physical Security forward?
Executive protection Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Executive protection goals and innovate what needs to be done with Executive protection.
– How do we Improve Physical Security service perception, and satisfaction?
– Which Physical Security goals are the most important?
Glass break detector Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Glass break detector quality and perfect Glass break detector conflict management.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Physical Security into the services that we provide?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Physical Security ?
Guard tour patrol system Critical Criteria:
Review Guard tour patrol system projects and do something to it.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Physical Security?
– Can we do Physical Security without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Who sets the Physical Security standards?
Guard towers Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Guard towers visions and know what your objective is.
– In what ways are Physical Security vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Do Physical Security rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– What about Physical Security Analysis of results?
Human rights Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Human rights projects and get the big picture.
– Is a Physical Security Team Work effort in place?
IP camera Critical Criteria:
Merge IP camera governance and explore and align the progress in IP camera.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Physical Security. How do we gain traction?
– Think of your Physical Security project. what are the main functions?
Identification cards Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Identification cards adoptions and get out your magnifying glass.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Physical Security strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Physical Security Management?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Refer to Information security leadership and perfect Information security conflict management.
– Does the information security function actively engage with other critical functions, such as it, Human Resources, legal, and the privacy officer, to develop and enforce compliance with information security and privacy policies and practices?
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– Does the ISMS policy provide a framework for setting objectives and establishes an overall sense of direction and principles for action with regard to information security?
– Based on our information security Risk Management strategy, do we have official written information security and privacy policies, standards, or procedures?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Have the roles and responsibilities for information security been clearly defined within the company?
– What is true about the trusted computing base in information security?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Is information security an it function within the company?
– How to achieve a satisfied level of information security?
– Conform to the identified information security requirements?
– Is information security managed within the organization?
– What is information security?
Key management Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Key management failures and triple focus on important concepts of Key management relationship management.
– Another confidentiality consideration for encryption is key management. How are the encryption keys that are used going to be managed and by whom?
– How can you negotiate Physical Security successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Do we monitor the Physical Security decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– How can skill-level changes improve Physical Security?
Logical security Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Logical security tactics and get answers.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Physical Security information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Physical Security study?
Motion sensors Critical Criteria:
Scan Motion sensors leadership and look at it backwards.
– What are the key elements of your Physical Security performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Does the Physical Security task fit the clients priorities?
Natural surveillance Critical Criteria:
Check Natural surveillance results and acquire concise Natural surveillance education.
Physical Security Professional Critical Criteria:
Derive from Physical Security Professional issues and report on developing an effective Physical Security Professional strategy.
– Consider your own Physical Security project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
Protective barriers Critical Criteria:
Read up on Protective barriers outcomes and oversee Protective barriers requirements.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Physical Security is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How do we Lead with Physical Security in Mind?
Razor wire Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Razor wire failures and drive action.
– Is maximizing Physical Security protection the same as minimizing Physical Security loss?
Security alarm Critical Criteria:
Define Security alarm strategies and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Physical Security processes?
– Do the Physical Security decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Security alarms Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Security alarms management and ask what if.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Physical Security process?
– Are there Physical Security problems defined?
– What is our Physical Security Strategy?
Security engineering Critical Criteria:
Survey Security engineering tasks and find answers.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Physical Security strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Does Physical Security analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Security guard Critical Criteria:
Check Security guard planning and point out Security guard tensions in leadership.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Physical Security services/products?
– Think about the functions involved in your Physical Security project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Physical Security products are done in a way that ensures safety?
Security guards Critical Criteria:
Derive from Security guards adoptions and get going.
– Is there a Physical Security Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Physical Security project?
– What are the usability implications of Physical Security actions?
Security lighting Critical Criteria:
Depict Security lighting issues and check on ways to get started with Security lighting.
– Is Supporting Physical Security documentation required?
– Why should we adopt a Physical Security framework?
Standoff distance Critical Criteria:
Grasp Standoff distance results and pay attention to the small things.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Physical Security with what users do day-to-day?
– Will Physical Security deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How can the value of Physical Security be defined?
Video analytics Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Video analytics risks and work towards be a leading Video analytics expert.
– What are the disruptive Physical Security technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Physical Security Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Physical Security External links:
Qognify: Big Data Solutions for Physical Security & …
UAB – Business and Auxiliary Services – Physical Security
ADC LTD NM Leader In Personnel & Physical Security
Access control External links:
What is Access Control? – Definition from Techopedia
Linear Pro Access – Professional Access Control Systems
Artificial intelligence for video surveillance External links:
Mindolia | Artificial Intelligence for Video Surveillance
Biometric device External links:
HIIDE portable biometric device scans iris, fingers and face
Mini USB Fingerprint Reader | Biometric Device
Biometric Device not working – HP Support Forum – 1128057
h30434.www3.hp.com › Notebooks › OS/Recovery
Computer security External links:
Computer Security | Consumer Information
Naked Security – Computer Security News, Advice and …
[PDF]Computer Security Incident Handling Guide
Crime prevention through environmental design External links:
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED)
Door security External links:
ASSA ABLOY Door Security Solutions :: Extranet
Door Security for Homes – DoorDevil
Executive protection External links:
Executive Protection Training Program | Pinkerton
World leading Executive Protection Company – AS Solution
Executive Protection Companies & Travel Security Services
Glass break detector External links:
United Security Products Window Bug Glass Break Detector
Honeywell FG1625 – Glass Break Detector – Alarm Grid
Guard tour patrol system External links:
guard tour patrol system – mobotour
QR-Patrol | Real Time and Online Guard Tour Patrol System
Guard towers External links:
Guard Towers and Observation Towers | Panel Built
Human rights External links:
Iowa Department of Human Rights | We Grow Opportunity
DHRHome | NYS Human Rights
ohr | Office of Human Rights
IP camera External links:
Download IP Camera Firmware Upgrade | Arecont Vision
Global IP Camera Recording, Alerting & Hosting by Mangocam
IP Camera | Samsung
Identification cards External links:
[PDF]POLICY TITLE IDENTIFICATION CARDS …
Identification Cards – SCDMV
Information security External links:
Title & Settlement Information Security
Information Security Summit – Information Security …
Key management External links:
Key management models (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
Apartments, Houses & Senior Rentals | Key Management
Key Management – Title Guarantee
Logical security External links:
[PDF]Physical and Logical Security Standard Guidelines
Shon Harris – Logical Security, Contributor
Motion sensors External links:
Natural surveillance External links:
What is Natural Surveillance? – Simplicable
Natural Surveillance | Temple Terrace, FL – Official Website
[PDF]Natural Surveillance Natural Access Control – Northglenn
Physical Security Professional External links:
[PDF]Physical Security Professional – Orgsites
ASIS International – Physical Security Professional (PSP)
Physical Security Professional (PSP) ® – ProExam Vault
Protective barriers External links:
SMUD Adding Protective Barriers around Some Poles | FOX40
Vestil – Protective Barriers
751.12 Protective Barriers – Engineering Policy Guide
Razor wire External links:
Fence Screening | Razor Wire Fencing
Mayor opposes razor wire on border fence – CNN
Security alarms External links:
Pro-Tec System One – Trailer Security Alarms
Security engineering External links:
Security Engineering – Covenant Security Solutions
Master of Science Cyber Security Engineering – USC Online
Security guard External links:
Security Guard – U.S. Security Associates – Inland Empire
Security Guard – U.S. Security Associates – Columbia
Security guards External links:
Security Guards :: Job Description – MyPlan.com
Security lighting External links:
Categories – Motion Activated Security Lighting – HeathZenith
Smart Security Lighting | BeON Home
Outdoor > Security Lighting – Lithonia Lighting
Video analytics External links:
Bosch Intelligent Video Analytics-Speed Detection – YouTube
Live Video Analytics – Microsoft Research
Video analytics – Please sign in